Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Detox day 1

So yesterday was day 1 of detox week. Basically no dairy, sugar, simple carbs, or fried foods. Oh and the most difficult of all, no coffee, which meant no morning cappuccino! So breakfast yesterday was plain oatmeal, organic nitrate and nitrite free turkey bacon,  and green tea. And that's the last time I have that for breakfast! The oatmeal was so disgusting I couldn't finish it. And green tea tastes like drinking hot grass juice! A trip to the grocery store was DEFINITELY in order. My uncle suggested jasmine scented green tea but I found Constant Comment instead. It's a green tea with orange and sweet spice. Dare I say delicious?! At least compared to the plain ole stuff. But plain oatmeal I just cannot do. Then my mom told me I shouldn't be eating oats on a detox anyway! Well, crap.

So after breakfast I proceeded to do my 2.2 mile jog. A little tough with the wind but I made it through. Afterwards I was STARVING!! But I wanted to go to the gym to do weights. So for a quick snack I loaded a fresh pear up with almond butter. OMG DO I LOVE ALMOND BUTTER!! So much better than peanut butter, and better for you!
 Kettle Foods Roaster Fresh® Crunchy Almond Butter -- 12 Pack / 11 ... 
And let me tell you, that was the PERFECT pre-workout snack. I literally ate it on the way to the gym and was lifting weights within 15 minutes of eating it. I'm one of those who hates to eat before working out because I just know I'm gonna see it again! But it gave me a great boost of energy and I felt fantastic! No tummy ache or anything. 


Lunch consisted of organic black beans over brown rice. Delicious, but I was missing the cheese and sour cream just a little. I then met my mom at a Women's Bible Study that lasted a couple of hours and boy was I starving!! At times I could only think about what I would cook for dinner when I got home! When I finally did get home I sauteed a chicken breast with onion, garlic, and fresh oregano. Then I added a few tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and put the lid on the pan to let it steam a little before I ate it. I also made some brown rice pasta. I've tried rice pastas before and they all just turned out kind of gummy and odd. But this pasta was fantastic!!! I mean I didn't miss real pasta at all!!!!  Got it at Whole Foods if anybody wants to try. But you may be asking, what's so bad about whole grain pasta or regular pasta!? Well, on this detox I cannot have any wheat because of the gluten. I gotta get the detox book out if you want to know anymore, lol!



So that was day 1. Not too bad until I tried to go to bed. I was absolutely starving!!! I mean I couldn't sleep I was so hungry! And the headache. Man did I have a headache. And the last thing I wanted to do was take something and slow down the detox. I finally managed to fall asleep and slept like a rock. Today I'm pretty sluggish, but hoping an extra cup of green tea will get me going! 

1 comment:

rebecca said...

I am rooting for you...goodness knows I should be doing this myself! Good luck!